SportsEngine or CSV (Spreadsheet) Player Import?
TeamGenius allows you to import players either by using your registration data in SportsEngine or using your own spreadsheet. This article will walk you through the steps of how to upload a CSV file. For this process to work you will need to have the players first name and last name is separate columns to easily do that please see this article - First name last name help
Importing Players With a CSV File
1. To import a file using a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file you will first need to click on "Add Players" under the "Players" tab on the left side of your assessment menu.
2. Here you will have a choice of using a CSV file or connecting to your SportsEngine or TeamSnap registration. Click on "Add Players from a CSV file."
3. Click "Select a CSV file to find the file on your computer or drag and drop the file from your desktop to "Drop file here" just to the left.
The next window will show a preview of your CSV file. If everything looks good click on the "Continue" button.
Please note that there are mandatory fields that you must have in your CSV file:
- Last Name
- First Name
There are other recommended fields:
- Guardian First Name
- Guardian Last Name
- Player Pool
- Player #
- Eval Group (if this option was selected in your assessment set up.)
4. Once a CSV file is selected, you need to map your fields in the software. Please remember that your file must contain: Last Name, First Name, and Email. If you want to include more than one email per player, we've got you covered! You can choose the email mapping field for multiple email columns in your CSV file!
You may discover during this process you want to capture additional information about your players (ex. School attending or secondary position). You can create a custom player field on the fly by clicking on "+ Add Custom Field" in the lower right hand corner.
5. If your CSV file contains column headers in the first row, check the “Ignore First Row” to tell the import engine to ignore that data. Once all the mappings are complete click on "Use These Mappings" to post the file to the database.
If you would like TeamGenius to auto-populate player pool names make sure the "Create New Player Pools" option is selected.
If anything is amiss, data import warnings will appear in red text across the top of your table.
This may include any records in your file that have blank mandatory fields, an invalid email address, and so on. The red text at the top denotes the total number of issues found, while each of the identified records will have an orange exclamation mark in the first column. Clicking on these orange notification boxes will pop up an explanation of what the specific issues are for that player listing. While you may go ahead and complete the import, it is advisable to make the fixes to the data source and go through the import process again. If you have multiple warnings, you can create a list of "Warnings Only" by clicking on this button.
6. Now that all of your mappings are correct, click on "Add Players".
7. The system will inform you of how many players were imported successfully and how many may not have been mapped correctly at this time.
8. If you have more players to import from another file, you can now import more players by clicking on the "Import More Players" button. Please remember to ensure that all fields are the same as the previously imported file and meet the minimum required fields listed above.